One of the tell-tale signs of aging is wrinkles. As you get older, your skin begins to age because cell division is slow, and the inner layer of the skin also known as the dermis begins to thin. Aging skin is also unable to maintain moisture, heals slowly and makes less oil. The following article will explore how wrinkles form and how they can be treated.
Why Wrinkles Form
- Collagen- This is a protein that gives your skin its strength and structure. The genes that make it degrade become active as you begin to age.
- Inflammation- There are 400 genes that are associated with inflammation. These genes become active as you age and contribute to the development of wrinkles.
- Skin growth: Aging slows the process of producing new skin cells.
- Photo aging: Ultraviolet rays of the sun damage the genes that keep your skin healthy and speed up aging.
- Hydration: Moisture prevents your skin from wrinkling. As you age, your skin loses its ability to stay hydrated.
Types of Wrinkles
- Expression Lines: Lines appearing between the eyebrows and from the corner of the eyes (crow’s feet) are thought to be brought about by facial muscle contractions. Frowning, smiling, squinting and other facial expressions promote expression lines.
- Sun Damage Wrinkles: Too much exposure to the sun can lead to wrinkles. The best way to keep your skin from being damaged is by avoiding the sun between 10 a.m. and 2 pm. You should also make a habit of wearing sunscreen every day.
- Smoking Wrinkles: Cigarette smoke prevents your skin from producing collagen that is essential for the strength and structure of your skin. When you skin does not produce enough collagen, you begin to develop wrinkles.
Treatment for Wrinkles
There are numerous over-the-counter medications for wrinkles including lotions and creams. Some of the prescription treatments for wrinkles are Renova®, Retin-A, and retinoid creams.
Removing the layers of the skin is another effective treatment for wrinkles. Some of the skin removal techniques include:
- Dermabrasion: a procedure involving the scraping away of skin layers
- Laser skin resurfacing: similar to dermabrasion and chemical peels but uses an ablative laser to perform the procedure.
- BOTOX® injections: reduces wrinkles and expression lines around the mouth and eyes.
- Fillers are injections into your skin folds particularly around your mouth to ease wrinkles and improve the skin’s texture and tone.
Wrinkles can make you feel uncomfortable especially when you are self-conscious about your looks. Engaging in a healthy lifestyle like often exercising , wearing sun screen, drinking a lot of water and avoiding over-consumption of alcohol and cigarettes are some ways to prevent wrinkles.
For more information about treating wrinkles, contact Guelph Medical Laser Skin Centre. We would be happy to schedule a consultation and review your cosmetic goals. If your wrinkles have been making you uncomfortable, now is the time to act. Contact us today.